Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The golden age of gaming

Todays landscape of gaming is understandably the most surreal and visually appealing. But sadly the games today never seem to recreate the nostalgia of my childhood.  While TF2, Starcraft 2, WoW, MW2, and Halo are all great games, I never get that same level of excitement that I consistently did when I was in my younger days.  With the anticipation of a holiday and no school, spending the day playing Mortal Kombat, Mario Kart, Killer Instinct (lot of K's in there) or a Final Fantasy game nothing to this day can trump that feeling. WoW does come a very close to this but I guess adulthood has stripped that away.  What were your best memories of gaming? Or is the scene today what gives you the best feeling?

14 comments:

  1. I remember being so happy playing NES all day. now video games are so boring. They're much better, but I just don't appreciate games as much any more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like today's gaming scene with great games like MW, WoW, Sc2 and diablo 3 coming up, it is really some nice stuff.

    But you are right. It isn't the same as the gool ol' diablo 1 or counterstrike 1.5 or even the first pokemon-game for gameboy.

    I miss those days, but hey, today's games are sweet as well.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the games we played in our childhood will always be the best in our mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing quite gets my interest like Pokemon did back in the day, good times

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing quite beats the memories I have of Pokemon red, metal gear solid and FF8. Games today are much better though, but you are right there's a spark missing. Maybe it just comes from growing up...shame

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree, I'd get so excited for rainy days when i could just sit around playing pokemon or.... runescape, yep. But runescape was limited or I'd tie up the phone line for too long DL

    ReplyDelete
  7. MArio Kart was always a baller game that over WoW anyday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Early to mid 90s was best. Games were colorful, full of creativity, and designers weren't afraid to try something new. There are still some good games every now and then, but a lot of the more interesting titles are relegated to handhelds or PSN/XBox Live.

    ReplyDelete