Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Cable TV, a thing of the past?

Lately I've given a lot of though to the whole "cancel your cable" movement.  Now I watch my fair share of TV each day, mostly Family Guy on Adult Swim daily but its usually just background noise while I'm working or even writing this blog.  Cable TV is not an imperative necessity for our survival in the hunter/gatherer sense of the term.  It is merely a luxury but sadly I feel some people have become somewhat dependent on it.  So my question is how easily can we cancel cable and not care.  There are plenty of other options out there for watching your favorite shows. Hulu, Netflix, Boxee, AppleTV and the up coming GoogleTV as well as bit torrents all provide a means of viewing your interests. I pay around $50 a month for a basic tier package with HD, and I must say its hardly worth the hand full of channels available.  There should be some type of support group for all of us who are considering taking the plunge of cable cancellation. Oh well I better go, reruns of cops start in just a few minutes.

9 comments:

  1. i'm not sure man. i just don't know what i would do with myself without my 5 different ESPNs. TNT and TBS also air basketball and baseball playoff games respectively.

    ReplyDelete
  2. soon its going to be all internet t.v. Cable t.v. will become another part of history...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We cannot simply abandon the old ways. Too many lives and livelyhoods depend upon it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. not sure, to do internet Television in America you had to renew a LOT of cable and its expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. its just like the touch tone home phone...a sign of the times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tv Stations plug shit sometimes, I don't even watch tv anymore. Nice article man, really informative.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I moved to my new apartment I didn't have any TV cause my appointment for the cable company to install shit was scheduled a month away. All I watched was netflix and played games. Was really refreshing. Nice post btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. between streaming movies off my computer or through xbox live, my hd antenna or my hdmi cable i see no need for cable...ever

    ReplyDelete